My Mind - My World — Chapter One

 



“Oh my GOSH Juli! Why do you have to be so SECRETIVE? One minute your all happy while we are talking, the next you look like your gonna explode? And don’t try the whole ‘I’m homeschooled’ thing on me! What could be so big you can’t tell us? Your best friends?” My best friend, Ellie McGuire yells angrily at me. 

“Ellie-” I start, my light caramel skin flushing darker as I try to control myself.

We stand in Ellie’s yard, my other friends Tina Froe and Niki Coron stand behind Ellie. Tina and Niki glare at me as Ellie interrupts me.

“Don’t ELLIE me!” Ellie growls.

“Yah. You need to tell us or leave us! Friends don’t keep secrets!” Tina says, her quiet, normally kind voice seething with anger.

“Mmm-hmmm. Why can’t you tell us? It’s not like your some ALIEN!” Niki scoffs.

Now it’s my turn to interrupt. “Did you ever think that maybe I can’t tell you because I’m not allowed to?” 

“Best friends break rules for each other, Jul.” Tina says, a frown on her normally joyful face.

I’m beyond angry now and I know it’s dangerous but I can’t rein myself in. “Maybe I want to tell you! Did you ever think maybe I AM something else? Did you ever think I don’t know HOW to tell you? Did you ever think of something other than YOURSELVES?”

“Sure.” Ellie says, smirking.

“Like you're something better than us-” Niki starts, but I cut her off, furious.

“ No! That’s the point! Maybe I am something WORSE than you! Ever think of THAT?”

“Yeah you’re SO bad! A really dangerous person!” Ellie scoffs, looking back at Tina, who giggles. 

“WHY can’t you guys realize!!” I cry, and before I know it, every car alarm on the street goes off as the tiny pebbles on the road burst up into the air, shattering their windows and denting their sides. Nikki, Tina, and Ellie fly into the air, landing heavily on the roof of the house across the street. The trees sway, and the windows of every house on the street shatter. I scream at the top of my lungs, and all the trash cans on the road go flying up in the air.

“NOW YOU KNOW!” I yell, fighting to control myself, and sprint away, my powers carrying me up and into the air as I run.








“Jule, Jule, Jule! Juli wake up! Juliiiiii? Juliana!” 

I hear my name being said and jerk up in bed, sweating. My roommate, Shay, stands, well, hovers, next to my bed, fully dressed and staring at me in concern. I leap out of bed and fall lightly ten feet to the ground, past five empty, made beds. Shay floats down after me, my outfit for the day in her hands. 

“What time is it?” I ask, annoyed at myself.

“It’s ten o’ five. I’ve been trying to wake you for the past half hour. The other girls already left.”

The other girls she is referring to are my 48 roommates, all Specials, like me. Darn. Overslept again.

“Crap. You didn’t have to do that Shay!” I say, pulling on a pair of leggings. 

“It’s okay Jule. I was worried, you where having a bad dream, making the hover-bed shake and everything.” She follows after me as I run to the bathroom, hoodie half on.

“Wait what day is it?” I ask, ripping a brush through my hair. It’s so annoying that the building has power restrictions. I can pretty much only fly here. 

“Wednesday. Luckily Defensive Flying didn’t start until 9:45 so we missed breakfast but not much class.”

“Did you eat?” I ask, concerned. Shay got here almost a year before me and has been really helpful getting me to my classes. I feel bad how much she’s missed because of me. 

“Yah. Haley brought me a muffin and banana on her way to Language Arts.”

I finish brushing my hair and teeth and dash out the door, Shay on my tail. We get to Defensive Flying and the teacher, Señora Madrid chastises us as we float up to meet the class. Time flies (pun intended) as I go through Defensive Flying, Math, and lunch; and soon I’m headed for my next class, Specials History And Strategy. I don’t agree with a fair number of my classes. It makes it sound as though Specials come in two breeds. Good and bad. The good get found quickly and work for the country as super soldiers. The bad don’t get found until they are older, and they often have trouble adjusting to being in an army. It annoys me, how just because you don’t want to get trained for the country you are bad. If I could, I would settle down. I can’t though. There is a war going on and not enough forces to destroy The Mars Colonies. But these thoughts are pushed out of my mind as I focus on my classes.

I walk into Specials History and Strategy chatting with a boy named Hunter who has special speed and we pause at the door.

“Has Sammy been in touch with you?” Hunter asks. The week after I got here, Sammy told me to keep alert for a message and I’ve been waiting for a month to hear something.

“No. I think she’s looking for more like me.” I say. “I don’t know where she is.”

“That sucks. She should commit.” He grimaces, and I laugh, sitting down in my seat as Tori starts class.

I start to think, not really focusing. Even if Sammy does find someone else, a natural, it’s unlikely they will be like me. There are six kinds of known naturals. Six is the most powerful, one the least. I’m a five, but I’d happily give that power up to be a normal kid.

My last classes rush by and before I know it, it’s dinner time and I’m racing Shay and Hunter to the dinning hall, shooting around all the people hanging out in the halls. We arrive quickly and grab some food before taking a seat at our usual table.

“Hey hey Shay Shay!” Says Piper, her orange curls bouncing as she runs to the table after us. Suddenly all of our friends come over, as if Piper’s joyful greeting has triggered them.

Shay and Hunter scoot closer to me as our friends pile around the table. Ella, Ren, Mike, Eve, Willow, and Fred pile on my side of the table, and I don’t even try to keep track of the other people in the dining hall. There is a total of 205 boys and 201 girls training at Special Management, 38 adult staff, 23 adult Specials, and 19 Specials Managers. Right now, there is probably about 103 people in the lunchroom. The Managers sure have their hands full.

“Juliiiii! Heard you slept in till ten again this morning!” Giggles Ella, leaning across the table and breaking me from my thinking. It’s an object of amusement for my friends that I can’t seem to adjust to the whole alarm thing.

“Yeah.” I say sheepishly.

“Yeesh, again?” Says Ren, amazed. “Wish I could sleep like you!”

“I wouldn’t be so sure that you would like it,” I start with a laugh, but then am interrupted.

“Juliana? Juliana?” A Special I don’t recognize walks through the crowded lunchroom, looking for me. 

“That’s me.” I say, confused as I stand up.

“Ah Juliana!” The Special says in relief, handing me a pass. “The Managers sent me, your supposed to report to Miss Samantha Fank’s office immediately.”

“K” I say, turning to grin at my friends before taking off towards the office. “Dumb power restrictions.” I mutter as I fight my way through the dense crowd of people around the dessert stand.

As soon as I’m out of the lunch room, I’m running down the hall, my excitement pushing me faster despite the power restrictions. I skid to a halt in front of Sammy’s office and pause to catch my breath, examining the pale green door against the gray walls. Slowly, I raise my hand and rap three times on the door. I wait, but there is no answer. I look down the deserted hall, then knock again, louder this time. Nothing. Then I remember. The power restrictions might let me see the shape of minds around me, but not inside them. If Sammy is in the office, then I should be able to feel her. 

I extend my mind, tentative at first, then further as I realize her office appears to be empty. 

“Huh.” I murmur. This is odd. They said for me to come here.

Well if she’s not here then I’m sure she won’t mind me going in. I stand in front of the door, feeling out of place in the empty hall. Would she mind? Somehow, I can’t imagine Sammy getting mad at me. 

“Make a decision, Juliana. Open the door.” I say to myself, using my full name so I know I’m serious.

I laugh at myself, then I open the door slowly, and peek inside. It is amazingly tidy in the small room, the only furniture a polished wood bookshelf crammed with old leather bound books, a desk, and a large black cushioned chair sitting behind it. On the desk sits three things. The first is a lamp. The second is a notebook with a pen sitting on top of it. The third is a white envelope with my name on it in large, swirling handwriting. I slip quickly into the room, close the door slowly behind me, and walk to the desk. Yep, definitely my name. I quickly slide my finger under the side of the envelope and rip it open. Inside there is a handwritten letter, addressed to me. I unfold it curiously and begin to read.


Hello Juliana (Juli).

If you are reading this, then you just passed a test. It was a test on whether or not you are daring enough to figure out that I am not in my office and break into an official’s office and read a letter that might not be yours. 



I pause, thinking. This was a test? What if I hadn’t done this? Would they have just left me here? I curiously continue.


The reason I waited to contact you was because we were not sure you were ready to do this. It has become obvious in your recent essay papers your opinion on matters of the government and Mars. 


Uh-oh… I have been a little bit rude...


The reason I cannot meet with you is that I am on a special mission for Mars. So from here I need you to go outside to the tall yellow bush in the corner of the Far NorthEast garden on the roof. Don’t tell anyone or show them this note. Make sure you don’t get followed. Stand to the West of the bush and say out loud ‘I am Juliana. But you can call me Juli. Sammy sent me. Code 184739.’ Then wait for 10 minutes exactly. We WILL come. Get in the hovercopter with no questions. Put the mask on. No questions. If you are too afraid to do this, that is okay. Just shred this letter and throw it off the roof.

See you soon,

Samantha (Sammy)



I stand there for a moment. A mission FOR Mars? Aren’t they the bad guys? Why did she say- Suddenly my thoughts are interrupted when I hear a voice in the hall. 

“Yes, let me go see if it is in my sister’s office. She’s gone on a business trip so she won’t mind if I lend the book to you.” 

It’s Tori and she’s coming in here! I look around frantically, cursing the tidy space. I quickly lock the door in the hopes of extending my time. My frantic eyes find the window, and I hesitate. Then the handle jiggles and I panic. I tuck the note safely in my pocket, making sure I won’t lose it. I dash to the window and heave it open. As the lock clicks in the door I heave myself out and onto the sill above the window. 

“Here we are,” I hear Tori say. “Oh! Sammy left the window open!” 

I hear her cross the room and my fingers grip the brick wall harder as the wind whips around, trying to pull me the 12 floors to the ground. I glance down and see Tori poke her head out, glancing around but thankfully not up.

“I suppose she left in a hurry.” says a male voice I don’t recognize.

“Yes, I guess so.” Says Tori, and she pulls the window shut. 

I hear the lock click on the window and release a breath I didn’t realize I was holding. Then I start thinking. If the window is locked then how will I get down? The power restrictions prevent me from flying or unlocking the window. I hear the dull murmur of Tina and the man talking. I hear a door shut and then silence.

“Crap” I say aloud then I hiss. “Power restrictions. I’m finished.”

The wind whips around me as I tighten my grip on the wall. My pulse quickens and I feel my breath shorten as the wind tries to pull me away from the wall.

I consider my options, but they all seem terrible. I could try to break through the window by swinging down, but if the window has reinforced glass, then I’ll bounce off and plummet the 12 floors to the ground, and even if I do break through, I’ll get in trouble and they’ll find the letter. I could attempt to throw myself far enough away from the building to get passed the restrictions, but if I couldn’t jump far enough then I’d plummet. That leaves only one option, trying to climb onto the roof from the windowsill. 

“Crap” I mutter.

Slowly I move my hands up and down around me, feeling for ledges or a better grip. My right hand creeps above me and I feel slick, cold metal ledge. I tighten my fingers on it, trying to figure out what it is. My hands start to turn numb and I lower them to my face one at a time to blow on them. Then I realize what the ledge is.

“The roof!” I murmur, struggling to keep my feet steady on the window ledge. The roof has a ledge around the edge of it so kids won’t fall off the edge.

I quickly move my hand around, feeling with my other hand for the ledge. Then I carefully turn so my front is pressed to the wall. A gust of wind blows suddenly and 

harshly and I let out a small gasp, clutching the roof ledge with all of my strength. Adrenaline courses through my veins and I shudder, my heart beating so fast that I can feel it in my toes. My feet suddenly slip and I scream, struggling to pull myself onto the roof with my cold fingers. I kick off the window ledge and send myself a little farther onto the roof, shaking. Cold rain splatters on my face and arms, and I struggle to keep my grip on the roof. I manage to pull my head up and catch a glimpse of a pole on the edge of the roof but the wind yanks me ferociously downward and I am pulled violently away. I feel like everything around me is pounding, from the pounding rain to my heart pounding in my head. I struggle uselessly against the weather, gripping with all my strength.

My fingers begin to slip, and I yelp in terror. My arms shake from holding my weight up. My fingers begin to slip further and I scream again. I scramble frantically with my feet, pulling myself a little higher. I reach my hands over the ledge, my hand searching frantically for the pole. Instead, I meet a soft, warm something. I grasp it, and it grasps me back but I don’t care, I just grab at it. It begins to pull me up, and I reach my other hand up to grab it with both hands. 

I gasp for air as I am pulled up onto the roof. When I have steadied myself on my feet, I look up into the pitch-black eyes of my savior.

“Why exactly were you hanging from the side of the building?” Says a gothic looking girl, staring at me with a confused face.

“Umm.” I say, thinking frantically for an excuse that will make up for me hanging onto the edge of a roof on a windy day.

I study the girl while I think, and realize that she isn’t that gothic after all. She has bright red hair that adds the perfect splash of color to her look. Her black eyes look beautiful against her pale skin, and she is wearing a gray hoodie with black leggings that don’t actually look gothic at all. Then, with a shock, I realize I know her. 

“You don’t go here, do you?” I ask, suddenly flustered.

“I’m new. But I’m asking the questions here.” She says. Her voice is smooth and sweet, but with a hint of forced menace underneath.

“I was hanging from the roof… Umm. Because I was in an office…” I start, trying to think of an excuse.

“Spit it out. And don’t bother lying. I’ll know” she says, the corners of her mouth turning down.

Then I realize where I know her from. I feel an odd poking at the edge of my mind and I hear her voice echoing as it all goes black.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Have I Ever Book Edition

30 Day Challenge!

Naomi’s Easy Gluten Free Cookies