First Horse Show!!!

  Hi everyone, as you all likely know, I just went to a horse show this past weekend on November 6th.

Today I’m going to give you some things I did to make my horse show go well, and what I would change in the future to make it go even smoother! The specific tips are all in bold for convenient reading!

This was Dot’s third-ever show, and before she had just done walk/trot. I had only ever been to one other show, Western, on a 23 year old school master! So it was completely new for both of us!


Afternoon/Night Before:

First things first, I created a master packing list! I added everything I need for going to a day-long horse show with my trainer. I didn’t include things that she already has, like hay, lunging equipment, etc. You can take a look at it here: My Master Packing List

Then, I went to the barn Friday, I curried Dot and basically show groomed her, combing a bit of Cowboy Magic through her mane and tail, then using a soft brush to spread a little over her hindquarters, neck, and sides. (Being careful to never put show sheen or anything oily where the saddle will go, to prevent slipping) I also shortened her mane a bit, because I hadn’t finished it last time I worked on it, haha!

Next I did a quick ride where I worked on a couple things Dot and I had been struggling with. I made sure to make the workout moderately difficult, because horses tend to be a little bit “up” day of the show, and I didn’t know how Dot would be at the show. We went over some ground poles and just worked on my position and keeping straight to the jumps. 

Then I gave Dot some extra treats for putting up with me, and put her away for the night.

After working with her, I got out my oil and leather soap and scrubbed and oiled my bridle, then lightly cleaned my saddle as my friend had just cleaned it a few days before. (I’m also currently using a lesson saddle because I can’t find one that fits Dot and I) Really, all I use is Horseman’s One-Step, because it cleans and conditions quickly, adds a nice shine, and is cheap!!

Then I got out my master packing list and went through it, checking off everything as I put it in my show trunk. I loaded the saddle, bridle, and show pad into the trailer, but brought my schooling pad home to wash. Once my trunk was fully packed up, it was almost time to go. So I clarified with my trainer what time to get there, and what was to be done in the morning

I got home, and I got out all my show stuff I needed to wash (my schooling pad, my jackets, gloves, etc.) and I put did a quick load.

Then I went and showered while they were in the wash. I made sure to put my hair up so it would dry nicely when done (in a ponytail).

ate a big dinner, then I went and got my show trunk out and went over my packing list again, this time packing everything nice and organized. And I cleaned my boots again and put them in their bag.

Last, I packed my lunch for the next day and set out my outfit (complete with layers for the cold morning), then set my alarm and went to bed!


Day Of:


woke up with plenty of time before I had to leave (for me that means an hour). I got dressed, put my hair up, and washed my face.

Then I ate a big, healthy, filling breakfast. (It is SO important to eat before the horse show, even if you don’t make a habit of breakfast other days. Even just a banana and a granola bar! You need to have energy to remember your courses and ride well!)

I put all my stuff in the car and made sure I had gone to the bathroom and remembered my lunch. (I actually forgot my lunch, ha! My mom ended up leaving to get Burger Kind for lunch anyway)

Then we drove out to the barn!

Once I got there, I loaded my trunk into the trailer, and triple checked I had everything. (I packed Dot’s grain and fed her at the show) 

I also used my trainer’s shipping boots because I don’t have any of my own :) it really just depends on the horse, rider, and trailer whether or not you need them!

Before loading, I made sure Dot had a hay net, and we all loaded our horses into the trailer. (Make sure the horses are next to someone they get along with!) I used my trainer’s leather halter and bungee ties because I don’t have one of my own. Also, make sure you have practiced loading a few times so you and your horse know what to expect!

Then we headed out to the show!



At The Show:

When we got to the show, we unloaded the horses, walked them for a bit, and tied them with a hay net

Then we went and checked in, while others got water for the horses. And we checked how many people showed up so we could estimate the time for our classes.

Don’t mind her borrowed halter :)

I groomed Dot while the Jumpers tacked up in schooling gear. For this show, the Hunter classes were in the afternoon. When the jumper horses left to go school, I grained Dot and hand grazed her a bit. Then I tied her back up and finished grooming her.

After that, it was a lot of sitting around and waiting! I got on Dot for a bit when the Jumpers were done schooling just to see how she was. She ended up being really chill so we just did some walk/trot past some big scary bushes. I was super proud of her, and her being so calm really helped chill out the little 3 year old mare who was there. 

Then we tied them up again and went to watch the jumpers. 

FINALLY, it was my turn!! I used the Horseman’s One-Step to shine my boots really quickly. I changed into my show outfit, groomed Dot, and tacked up in my friend’s fitted show pad. I put my hair up in my helmet using a tube hair nethad my mom take my water and crop, and got on! We had Dot’s pasture mate, the 3 year old pony come down to the arena too, because Dot was calling to her the whole time she couldn’t see her, haha!! It also was just so Dot would have a friend nearby!

jumped all the jumps once quickly during the ten minute schooling break, with my trainer coaching me. Dot ducked out of one jump twice, but then she jumped them all perfectly! 

My classes were a Warm Up Round, the 18” Hunter Over Fences, 18” Equitation Over Fences, Hunter Under Saddle, and Equitation On The Flat. 

Here is a picture of my Warm Up course:



Dot was SO SO SO amazing!!! She jumped all the jumps, only knocked one rail, and only spooked once!


Once during our flat, we cantered by the gate and she made a wild shoulder dive for the gate, but the judge didn’t see, and we continued on the right lead, thankfully!

And another time on the flat, a HORSE EATING squirrel CHARGED at us down the rail, CLICKING! Dot hopped to the side, tucked her but, and did like two gallop steps, before continuing calmly on the correct lead. I didn’t even know what happened until we cantered by the gate and my trainer yelled “you just got squirreled!!”


Then later, we trotted by, and this time the squirrel was in the tree by the arena shaking it like crazy, but my brave little pony trotted on!

The other horse in our flat class actually was from the barn the show was at, so she had no issue. 

In total, I was competing against 5 people, but only one of them was in the flat class.

I got: 2nd in hunter under saddle, 1st in equitation on the flat, 1st in hunter over fences, 3rd in Equitation over fences. 


The Hunter Under Saddle was not great because Dot in a little mouth sour, so she constantly flips her head around at the walk and often at the trot. And the Equitation Over Fences was not too good because she knocked a pole down.

We also won overall Champion for the 18” area!

I am so proud of her! This was both of our first jumping show, and the highest either of us has ever jumped! I love my little Hunter pony!!






https://ridepretty.blogspot.com/


Comments

  1. That it so exciting!!!! First horse shows are pretty much one of the best things ever. So happy for you and Dot!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! We’d love to hear from you! Please don’t add anything inappropriate, thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Never Have I Ever Book Edition

30 Day Challenge!

Naomi’s Easy Gluten Free Cookies