The Hunger Games Movie Review

*SPOILER ALERT*

Hello, readers! Naomi here. I just watched The (first) Hunger Games movie and I am already looking forward to seeing the Catching Fire Movie. Seeing as the new Hunger Games book came out 5.19.20, I thought to do a Hunger Games Movie review. Now, let’s get started.

Amelia here. I watched the movie after Naomi, so I will also be adding some input in this blackberry color. 

On practically the first scene, I noticed this:
This is supposedly Buttercup, who, in the books is distinctively described as an ugly tabby cat, so I’m not sure what this cat is doing here. The director got lots of complaints about this detail including from Suzanne Collins to get a new kitty for Catching Fire and Mockingjay parts 1 and 2.

I didn’t really care about Buttercup, because the scene is so short. This scene did feel a little fake, but overall I didn’t really mind it because the rest of the movie was so good.

Ah, much better...

Part of what I liked about the movies is that it gives a look into what the game makers are doing outside the arena, which is a special addition that really works in their favor. At least in my opinion.

I did like this, and I think it was good since they sort of skipped a lot of important stuff from the books.


Next, Katniss gets the infamous Mockingjay pin from the Hob in greasy Sae’s counter. In the book she gets it from the District 12 mayor’s daughter, Madge Undersee. In Catching Fire we get some background about the pin and find out it was her Aunt, Maysilee Donner’s pin. She was killed in the 50th annual Hunger Games. In the movie Madge isn’t even a character. In my opinion, that detracts from the story of the pin, which makes it less significant.

I don’t like how they sort of skipped over the whole story behind the Hob, greasy Sae, and Madge. It is still cool because it provides an emotional moment later when her sister gives her the pin, but not as good as the book.

Wow! How can you not cry when Rue dies and Katniss decorates her and salutes her? The emotion of the scene is packed, but I especially love that Katniss actually sings to her! With the rest of the small, overlooked details, I was super excited that this was happening.

I particularly loved the whole showing of the salute in District 11, and how they portrayed Rue in the movie.


And, why is the cornucopia BLACK?? In the book it was described ‘like the one we fill with food at the harvest festival’ and bright glinting GOLD, so tell me, why is the one in the movie like this?

YES Naomi! I agree so much!
I liked the cornucopia, but only when I ignore the book!

Oh, my goodness! The casting in this movie is just AMAZING and how can you beat the costumes? Seneca Crane’s beard is rocking it, and the Capitol People look right out of a Lady Gaga movie! Wasn’t this what everyone was imagining out of the book?

I enjoyed this, though I have got to admit, I imagined it differently in the book. I imagined almost all of the characters differently, but by the end of the movie I was in love with the way everything was cast.




Fifthly, in the books Katniss uses her BRAIN and her wits to figure out what Haymitch wants, not the notes hidden in the silver parachutes. I wonder, why is that??

Yes. I would say the book and movie are amazing in completely different ways. The book is built so much off of her internal thoughts and feelings, and the movie can’t do that as well. Like in one scene, Peeta calls the red-haired girl ‘Foxface’, and you wouldn’t understand that unless you read the book.

The special effects are booming and, can you believe it? They used as much real fire as they could in the scene below, and I think it paid off super well. Bravo πŸ‘ and hats 🎩 off to all you special effects masters:

Also, the time in the arena seems like it speeds by. They do a montage to show how Katniss has been spending her day in the arena and has no downtime in the arena, although in the book, half the time is spent like that. Even though the movie is 2:22:37, it seems like they don’t spend half the amount of time they should’ve.

Yah, like I said: book and movie are amazing in completely different ways!

Overall, I loved it. If I hadn’t read the books first I would’ve appreciated it so much more, but I couldn’t help but noticed the little details!

The Hunger Games movie is SO amazing. It portrays Katniss and Peeta beautifully, and makes it so you really feel like you know the characters. 
I would say, however, that you should watch the movies at least a month or two AFTER you read the books, as if you watch it to close together, you will notice the details more. As soon as I finished the movie, I immediately wanted to watch it over and over again.

Keep living life random, stay safe, stay healthy, stay sane, and may the odds be EVER in your favor!

Thank you, Google for the images and GIFS used in this post!


Bye,
Amelia and Naomi









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Have I Ever Book Edition

30 Day Challenge!

Naomi’s Easy Gluten Free Cookies