My First English Canter πŸ˜†

 Hi!!

To start, let’s be clear. I’ve cantered in western, but that is called loping. I lope in western almost every week, and I’ve got that down fine. But as any of you riders out there know, English is soooooo different from western. And a heck of a lot harder πŸ˜‚.

 But anyway, Cricket was sold the week before I was set to canter him. I went on vacation to Florida and missed two rides right before that, so I expected that my cantering would be set back at least a week. Yesterday, I added another lesson in the hopes that I will continue to advance, so now I’m riding Friday’s and Wednesday’s. 

I’m now going to be riding a chestnut gelding named Vegas. He is one of the most used lesson horses because he is gentle (85% of the time πŸ˜‚), he can do ground work, he can jump, and most importantly, he listens to you. He doesn’t fight the rider. We do usually carry a dressage whip because he can be a little slow, but last night I only used it a few times at the beginning. 

This is Vegas photobombing a nice picture of Quinn πŸ˜‚

This is Vegas being mad that Quinn is getting attention πŸ˜…

As you can tell, Vegas REALLY likes Quinn. Like, a lot.


Well, last night, my lesson started during an advanced jumpers lesson. The adults and trainers who have been riding for at least 20 years, I mean. (Just goes to show that you are NEVER advanced enough to stop lessons) I spent the end of their lesson working on my trotting, two-point, walking, and just getting to know Vegas (and of course gawking as they jumped 3-foot jumps with no hands). 

I’m so sorry, I’m totally rambling!! I’ll just get to the point.

Here is a video of Vegas playing with Quinn. Poor pony never gets a break 🐎

(sorry if the video doesn’t show, it’s basically Vegas galloping in circles around Quinn, ‘herding’ him. Blame Blogger not me 😁)


Vegas has a very smooth, slow walk. His trot is HUGE though. It’s crazy the difference. Then his canter? W.O.A.H! It was spectacular. His canter is huge and fast, and I’m sure I looked sort of out of control riding it! But it was so much fun. The last canter to the right, I bounced and landed just the right way that I sort of knocked the wind out of myself πŸ˜‚. My chest, legs, and back are so, so, so sore today. Also, I rubbed the inside of my thighs on the saddle and they are bright red. Needless to say, it was SO MUCH FUN!!! I love that horse so much. Even though I miss Cricket, Vegas certainly lessens the pain.


Another video of Vegas...


Love y’all!

Amelia 😁

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Have I Ever Book Edition

30 Day Challenge!

Naomi’s Easy Gluten Free Cookies